The holidays are in full swing here at the Nickel & Suede office and the month has already flown by! We've been so busy with making, packaging, and shipping all of your orders that our company holiday party has snuck up on us. We're short on time but still want to take part in the holiday spirit and make something delicious to share. We know the dessert table is going to be filled with decadent and tasty treats (yes, we're very excited for these) BUT we wanted to mix things up with something light yet just as sweet. We decided to add these apple pops into the mix. They're quick, easy, delicious, and bite size. This sweet treat is great for holiday parties, cooking with girlfriends, or as a fun recipe to do with the kiddos at home.
There's hardly a need for a recipe here! These are so easy and can be personalized to include any and all of your favorite flavors. Simply remove the core from the apple, dip into chocolate and caramel, and decorate with your favorite toppings, easy and delicious!
What You'll Need:
- Apples (whichever variety is your favorite)
- Meltable chocolate (we picked up both dark and white chocolate from a local craft store)
- Caramel (also from a local craft store)
- Toppings (we used sprinkles, nuts, chocolate chips, and Oreo crumbles)
- White popsicle sticks | Cookie pop sticks
- White cupcake liners
- Cupcake pan
- Parchment paper
Here's How We Made Them:
All About The Apple
- First things first; core your apples and set the slices on a paper towel. This way any extra apple juice will be soaked up and the chocolate/caramel will stick better. Insert a pop stick into each slice and prepare to dip!
Chocolate Lovers Unite
- Now time for the chocolate (or caramel). Forget about the headache of a double boiler that mom used to use, simply pop some meltable chocolate and caramel into the microwave for a minute or two and there you have it!
*Tip: We found that heating up the chocolate and caramel for 30 seconds at a time (stirring in between) works best. Just keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. For a thicker layer of chocolate or caramel, let the apple slices dry fully after each coat before dipping them again.
- Last but certainly not least (drum roll please)....it’s time to add the toppings. This is where you can get as creative as you like with toppings galore! Combine some of your favorite flavors such as chocolate and nuts or caramel and sprinkles. On the last layer of chocolate or caramel (while it is still wet) roll the apple slice in your favorite toppings, or sprinkle them over the top. We used the lined cupcake pan here for a portable topping station that kept it somewhat less messy. Let the apple slices set up on the parchment paper one last time and enjoy!
- We’ve been the taste testers and paired together some of our favorite combinations that we know you’ll love:
- Dark chocolate | Oreo crumbles
- Caramel | White chocolate drizzle | Chopped almonds
- Dark chocolate | Caramel | Pretzel crumbles
- Caramel | White chocolate | Coconut shavings
- Milk chocolate | Chocolate chips | Snickers crumbles | White chocolate drizzle